I received this update this morning from First Asst. City Manager Ryan Evans:
We have received about five inches of snow and another two to three inches may fall before this stops somewhere around noon. Temperatures are expected to peak around 24 degrees so there will be little to no melting. Around 11 am tomorrow the temperature is expected to reach 32 degrees with highs in the 40s. So, there will be fairly rapid melting tomorrow.
- Several media outlets have reported that the City is closed for business today. That is incorrect and the outlets have been notified.
- All facilities with the exception of municipal court jury trials and the following libraries will be open although they will be minimally staffed. Citizens can still go to the city courts building to pay and the proof or plea docket is open.
- We have been unable to open some libraries due to staff unable to make it to work. Those libraries include:
- Dallas West
- Forest Green
- Fretz Park
- Highland Hills
- Mountain Creek
- Oak Lawn
- Pleasant Grove
- Polk Wisdom
- We have 60 sand trucks in operation focusing on emergency response routes, hospitals, fire and police stations, bridges, overpasses and viaducts. When these are sanded they will move on to major arterials.
- TXDOT is focusing on the freeways.
- Garbage pickup, which we had hoped to start back up today or tomorrow is further suspended until regular pickup times next week.
- Love Field is closed. One runway has been cleared of snow and deicing is being applied.
- DFW Airport is open to arriving flights but over 120 departing flights have been cancelled.
- The Emergency Operations Center is operational.
- We continue to have very few Super Bowl event complications.
Here’s a good news article from The Dallas Morning News that explains why so many of our residential streets have not been cleared of ice/snow.